Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
"Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
Date:  Mon Oct 2, 2000  1:07 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] malmsteen vs clapton

Mirko wrote:
> I'm a guitarist, and I used to shred away on Malmsteen, Vai and Satriani.
> Technically, it is far more complex than anything clapton has ever done-
> but here is my point-
> Clapton does not let technique DICTATE what he writes- he just writes
> songs.
> Malmsteen, and to a lesser extent, vai and satriani are slaves to their
> technique- Malmsteen uses his chops just about ALL of the time, and when
he
> doesn't, it's to let some long haired heavy metal singer scream high F's.
> It's all about superiority and serving the self. There's not a lot of
real
> musical control, as his ego gets in the way all the time.
>
> Take Lennon and MacCartney instead- they were very average musicians, but
> instead gave priviledge to melody, harmony and inventiveness- that is
music
> to me, and to a lot of other people.
> Take beethoven's emperor concerto- the second movement- it's so sparse
and
> beautiful, and moves mountains without any empty virtuosity. You could
play
> the main piano part with one finger!
>
> Less is more.
>
> Clapton's playing in cream, similar to hendrix, was fantastic and ground
> breaking- linking american blues, and british rock sensibilities into the
> british blues invasion. Have a listen to 'strange brew' or 'sunshine of
> your love' songs that will give you goosebumps, without selfish displays.
> and Caio, I'm sure you know what makes good music. you pointed out that
> 'for the love of god' was a good song- well, I agree with you. Count the
> amount of notes in the main motif...4! It's good to see at least Vai can
> exercise some restraint.

I think I'm talking about one thing and you about something else. You're
talking about taste ( I can't stand the Beatles or Hendrix, for instance )
and I'm talking about technical quality and what it means in music. The
important to me is that you recognized the technical superiority of the
technically superior. The rest is personal preferences only, and then each
and everybody is going to have his/her list, and so shall it be, although
some may agree more than others.

Bye,

Caio Rossi

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
4973 Re: malmsteen vs clapton Tako Oda   Mon  10/2/2000   3 KB

emusic.com