Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Mon Oct 2, 2000  12:21 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] What's wrong about Church ( the girl, not the institution )was: 'opera singer' was junior, church

Caio Rossi wrote:

> For the sake of clarity, and so that we can profit technically for
> criticizing others, since that's the purpose of this list, I'm asking those
> with a clear opinion about the girl to share a technical evaluation of
> Church's technique. I know she drops her jaw too low and that she can't be
> heard over an orchestra. But is that all? Why are there so many
> 'non-believers' in that Church? :-)

I'm not one to make technical prescriptions (e.g., "drops jaw too low"). But
in terms of
what I hear, it is a vibrato that's way too wide and wobbly for someone so
young. Her
vibrato is what I hear in an older singer, like maybe an opera singer who's
been singing
roles too have for her voice for too many years. Now, very few are born with
perfect
technique. In a normal setting, a talented young woman like Church would
hopefully have a
good voice teacher, and maybe without too much difficulty be able to iron out
any
technical glitches and learn to sing in a healthy manner. But when there is
lots of money
at stake, there's too much money to be lost to be patient and work on
technique. I fear
the business types will take the money and run, and I just hope this young
woman gets
adequate financial recompense for whatever vocal damage is being done.

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
4961 Re: What's wrong about Church ( the girl, not the Caio Rossi   Mon  10/2/2000   2 KB

emusic.com