Vocalist.org archive

From:  Patricia M Smith <dgcsorcmgr@j...>
Patricia M Smith <dgcsorcmgr@j...>
Date:  Mon Oct 2, 2000  12:03 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] why is this still the 'opera singer' was junior, church thread?

On Sun, 1 Oct 2000 13:15:22 -0700 (PDT) Tako Oda <toda@m...> writes:

> By "survive" I mean "still performed". There are quite a number of
> operas
> that musicologists know about from manuscripts but are never put on
> by
> modern companies.
(snip)
>Of course, there are, as always, exceptions (hidden
> masterpieces,
> overdone drivel). The idea is that universally great music tends to
> stand
> the test of time.

I think that we are forgetting about works that are occasionally
"discovered" & revived - the "Mass" by Berlioz that was recorded a few
years ago. And of course, let's not forget that Mendehlsohn virtually
reintroduced the music Bach & Handel to the public.

(snip)
> > And the point about "classical" as opposed to "popular" in any age
> - and
> > there was a lot of popular music in every century - is that it's
> meant
> > to last.

Schubert's Lieder was once "popular" as well as songs by Stephen Foster
than many American singers are taking pleasure in now recording as "art"
songs. Same with Beach, Gershwin, Berlin & even Rogers & Hammerstein. You
will frequently find Bernstein's "West Side Story" listed in the opera
anthology books & some of that music has recently turned up in Gap
commercials.

(snip)
> We might be surprised to find a significant showing
> of
> "popular" works (I'd guess Count Basie, Annie Lennox, Beatles) in
> the mix!

Look at the renewed interest in "standards" & old jazz tunes, Ellington
for example. And for those of you in churches, like it or not, "Awesome
God" by Rich Mullins & some of Michael W. Smith's songs are going to be
turning up in our hymnals for years to come...sort of modern day Fanny
Crosbys. Contemporary music is big with the young people in our churches
& SOME of it works well in less liturgical settings (not all of it is
good either) & the better stuff will stick around for years to come.