Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Marika Mielonen" <tiikeri@s...>
"Marika Mielonen" <tiikeri@s...>
Date:  Sun Oct 1, 2000  7:32 pm
Subject:  Mezzo or soprano (to be or not to be) (longish)

Dear List,

this is longish but I hope to get at least some feedback. Thanks in advance.

MY PROBLEM
After two years of private voice studies we've started to prepare arias for
auditions (for university/conservatory). However, I really don't know,
whether I should choose mezzo or soprano arias. I know that the fach
question really should not matter now, but I feel I really can't sing both
mezzo and soprano arias in the same audition! The problem is mainly caused
by

1) my timbre, which is dark
2) my voice, which is quite heavy and
3) the fact, that there are plenties of "genuine" lyric sopranos around -
thus I could have better chances in many auditions if I said "Nice to meet
you, I'm the mezzo you are looking for"

My teacher is about as confused as I am. Those who hear me for the first
time tell me I'm mezzo, those who have heard me over a long period of time
and know my voice thoroughly are just not sure. The fach wasn't a problem as
long as I sang merely lieder; sometimes the high key was more comfortable,
sometimes I had to have lower transposition. I'm now attending an "opera
class", which prepares excerpts from operas and it seems I'll have both
soprano and mezzo roles.

MY BACKGROUND INFORMATION
I've been taking singing lessons for two years. Until last May I sang only
mezzo repertoire as I couldn't sing higher than G5. Then, I found my high
notes (from G#5 to E6) in May when I realized I had to think "inwards", not
"outwards". The high notes are getting each day easier and more beautiful.
In the lower register, I hate singing below Bb4. Singing legato has always
been very easy but fioritura is more difficult.

THE REPERTOIRE
We've started to prepare soprano arias... (I need to have four of them)

Bellini: Eccomi in lieta vesta...Oh, quante volte (My absolute favorite,
perfect for my voice)
Dvorak: Rusalka's aria
Rossini: Selva Opaca
von Weber: Und ob die Wolke
Mozart: Porgi amor*
Mozart: Ach, ich fühl's*
*= these are likely to be dropped from
my list since they are so commonly sung in auditons

THE QUESTIONS

Should I stick to my soprano repertoire? (unless my voice takes a drastic
turn to "genuine" mezzo during this year - the auditions are in May)

Should I compile a set of mezzosoprano arias for above mentioned reasons?
timbre, "rareness")
(e.g. Voi che sapete, Smanie implacabili... what else? My voice isn't
flexible enough for Rossini and I don't have an idea, what the jury thinks
about Händel's da capo -stuff)

Should I choose only "zwischenfach" arias like Dido, Santuzza and let the
jury choose whether I'm a high mezzo or heavy lyric?

Of course, there's a slight possibility I end up becoming spinto or
something even heavier but THAT takes time and I really need to sing
something these next 15-25 years, too!

Best regards,

Marika

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
4943 Re: Mezzo or soprano (to be or not to be) (longis Cynthia Donnell   Sun  10/1/2000   6 KB
5019 Re: Mezzo or soprano (to be or not to be) (longis Marika Mielonen   Mon  10/2/2000   7 KB

emusic.com