Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
buzzcen@a...
Date:  Sun Oct 1, 2000  2:21 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: BREATH SUPPORT (and SLS)

In a message dated 10/1/00 8:03:09 AM Central Daylight Time,
linda@f... writes:

<< > Rocio Guitard wrote:

> We don't teach breath support as an active
> part (in the sense of "teaching the student how to breathe for
> singing") unless the natural way of breathing of a specific student is
> poor.

Don't you find that is the norm rather than the exception, though? At
least in beginners? >>

No, the problem is that adduction of the folds is so messed up that excessive
airflow is needed to engage bernouli. Get the prephonatory tuning of the
folds to line up better and less air is needed. You can work on breathing
all you want, but if the way the cords line up before voice is created it
will be all for naught.

That being said, if after you think that the cords are postured right and
there is a left over breathing problem (too much air destroying the correct
posture) then you deal with it. Not first though but secondly because the
governing agent in how much air is needed to engage vibration is the
prephonatory tuning of the folds.

Randy Buescher

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
4916 Re: BREATH SUPPORT (and SLS) Lloyd W. Hanson   Sun  10/1/2000   4 KB

emusic.com