Vocalist.org archive

From:  Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Date:  Sat Sep 30, 2000  10:04 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] 'opera singer' was junior, church

On Sat, 30 Sep 2000, Caio Rossi wrote:
> Pop music is objectively inferior
> to classical music, but most of what I like to listen to is in the pop area

The ONLY reason classical music *seems* superior now is because only the
better stuff has survived. The ratio of sublime/decent/crap has and always
will be something like this: 0.2% : 9.8% : 90%

There is plenty of stuff being produced in our time that is incredible
music. It's just hard to wade through it all the junk to find it. It's
worth it, though, because sublime music of the times will generally speak
to one more than such music of another time, unless one has romanticized
times past and has a fetish about it.

Here are some technically masterful 20th cent pieces/collections that are
also musically engaging. They all happen to resonate to contemporary
issues:

Koyanasqatsi (sic?) by Philip Glass,
Eleanor Rigby by the Lennon/McCartney,
Several Indigo Girls songs,
Henryk Gorecki's 3rd Symphony,
Frederic Rzewski's Coming Together,
and of course...
Court and Spark by Joni Mitchell :-)

This is just off the top of my head. They are well loved *and*
imaginatively and intelligently crafted by skilled composers. In the 22nd
cuentury, I hope we're remembered for these geniuses, than for revamping
music from other centuries !!!

Tako

emusic.com