Vocalist.org archive

From:  Mike & Vicki Bryant <mbryant@f...>
Date:  Sat Sep 30, 2000  8:52 pm
Subject:  Re: Digest #286 (mezzo-soprano)

Lloyd wrote:

vtec> The "the peculiar voice type that Rossini wrote for: the lyric
vtec> coloratura mezzo-soprano" is not a terminology used in Rosinni's day.
vtec> Female voices were either soprano or contralto. The mezzo
vtec> classification as it is known today was not a consideration for
vtec> Bellini, Donizetti or Rosinni. Patti, for whom "Norma" was written
vtec> was a contralto who developed the top of her voice and became famous
vtec> for this and other Bellini soprano roles.

vtec> The present system of classifying voices into many categories is the
vtec> result of the unionization of singers in Germany early in the 20th
vtec> Century for the protection that was deemed necessary to avoid abusing
vtec> voices within the German opera system.

Lloyd,

Thank you for addressing this issue. I apologize for my ignorance - I
was simply parroting what I heard in class, and I should know better.

(I also apologize for the "RE: Digest#" heading. It's the default
subject header on my email program and sometimes I forget to write
over it).

Anyway, you have also managed to finally answer the question I posed
to the list months ago about exactly when the term "mezzo-soprano"
came into use.

Thank you for so kindly sharing your knowledge.

Vicki Bryant
Naperville, IL

emusic.com