Vocalist.org archive

From:  RALUCOB@a...
Date:  Sat Sep 30, 2000  7:49 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] pop voices

mirko,

i just listened to 'grace' and i think you're right. i do think jeff
buckley would be considered a tenor (if that mattered). what makes me think
that is more the way he uses his low range rather than his upper range. the
way he uses his upper range seems similar to the way morten harket and scott
walker use theirs. these two singers strike me more as baritones.

the approach these singers take seems to make more use of falsetto and
the ability to go from falsetto to 'real' voice without any break. the
classical singers i have heard who come close to doing this are; nicolai
gedda, sergei lemeshev, dietrich fischer-dieskau, hermann prey and
occasionally, thomas hampson. richard miller, in his book 'training tenor
voices', cautions against this approach saying that "it may cause poor
occlusion of the vocal folds". unfortunately, that's all he said.
however, this came in the context of poo-pooing the use of falsetto entirely,
except by counter-tenors.

mike

emusic.com