Vocalist.org archive

From:  Reg Boyle <bandb@n...>
Date:  Sat Sep 30, 2000  5:01 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Ian's Vocal Fortuity

At 08:46 PM 29-09-00 -0400, you wrote:
>reg,
>
> by the time one starts singing seriously, natural is long over.
>skipping a few steps here, try this experiment; make the same singing
>sounds that you have become accustomed to making with your new found 'method'
>without doing the method and see if you don't respond better instinctively
>than you used to and, perhaps, better than your new method.
>
>mike

Thanks Mike, I understand exactly what you mean, unfortunately
each day begins differently and sometimes we need a set of activities
that enable us to succeed in spite of feeling like hell.
Pre-method, I'd stumbled on these same support
feelings with some regularity but by the next morning they'd gone.
This is what has to be personally nailed down.
The most recent application of the need for a systematic
approach that I can find, is the difference between beginning to learn a
_new piece of music_ compared to standing in the shower, _singing one I
know very well.
The learning situation places all sorts of old technique
in the way of patterning the mobility. It's this that calls to mind the
on-going need for a SOLID technique, such as I seek, and the actual
feeling and muscular activity that occurs becomes obvious as I sing as
softly as possible in the shower . The chest cage verses the epigastric.
I'm really trying to find if others are conscious of that same bodily
activity.
Is this appoggio? Because I can 'do it' OR 'let it happen.'
Regards Reg.

emusic.com