Vocalist.org archive

From:  "DIANE M. CLARK (MUSIC DEPARTMENT)" <DCLARK@r...>
Date:  Fri Sep 29, 2000  10:30 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] distribution of voices?

Isabelle wrote:

>>What do you teachers and singers find to be the
distribution? Are tenors as rare as they say? 80%
baritones of them men in your studios? What about
coloraturas vs lyrics vs spintos? Does anyone have a
real contralto? A real hochdramatic?

In my studio of 15 students, 14 are undergraduates and one is a faculty
member from the English Dept. (baritone). Of the undergrads, I have two
unusual types -- a potential contralto and a potential Heldentenor (who is
not a music major). The others (insofar as one can tell at this age and
stage of training) are 4 lyric sopranos, 3 baritones, one bass, one soprano
who might be a coloratura, one mezzo, and two lyric tenors (one of whom is
studying in Spain this semester). In my experience, lyric sopranos and bari-
tones are always plentiful. It's nice to have variety like the above, just
so one can enjoy different literature.

|\ Dr. Diane M. Clark, Assoc. Prof./Chair of Music Dept., Rhodes College
| 2000 N. Parkway, Memphis, TN 38112, 901-843-3782, dclark@r...
() http://gray.music.rhodes.edu/musichtmls/faculty/dclark.html

emusic.com