Vocalist.org archive

From:  Tak Oda <toda@m...>
Date:  Fri Sep 29, 2000  10:17 pm
Subject:  Big Money WAS:'opera singer' was junior, church

On Fri, 29 Sep 2000, Caio Rossi wrote:
> I just want to make clear that I agree with you and admire the fact that
> classical instrumentalists and opera singers are trying their best to offer
> their musicianship in exchange for so little money ( comparing to how much
> famous pop singers can make )

I should probably mention that pop singers generally don't make all that
much money. Their labels make millions, but pop stars often end up with
what amounts to a barely living wage. Only pop artists who have been
around long enough to nedgotiate a fair contract (Madonna, Gloria Estefan)
or ones with preternatural talent (Prince, Beatles) make money at the
infra-Pavarotti level.

Considering how many more "pro opera" slots there are out there than
"10-year pop career" slots, it is actually more probable that one "make
it" (living wage) in opera than in pop.

Tako

emusic.com