Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lisa M Olson" <lisa_molson@m...>
Date:  Fri Sep 29, 2000  6:01 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] 'opera singer' was junior, church

I just wanted to add to this discussion that my problem with Bocelli, Church,
Brightman is that they are held up to "the general public" as a standard. And
that many people (at least those who have talked to me) believe that they are
representative of good opera singing. I understand that to many, the
"operatic" sound is not organic or is affected. HOWEVER, I also know that
there are other singers out there who have a more accessible sound (Dawn
Upshaw, for example) who are more expressive and sing with a more reliable
technique (although she is apparently having some vocal fatigue problems
herself) who are not singing on Oprah. It is the mediocrity that frustrates
me. The powers that be in the music industry have decided that the only way to
make an "opera" singer interesting is if they are some sort of anomoly (i.e.
being 13 years old, being blind, being married to Andrew Lloyd Webber).

The people who have worked for years to understand the art and the craft and
the sport of singing, who bare their very souls for us to comprehend the beauty
of life --- they are seen as stuffy and boring. I believe just the opposite.
I think the people who like "opera" and "classical music" as background music
so that it doesn't invade their lives are the stuffy and boring ones!!!!

rant over.

Lisa-Marie
---

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
4784 Re: 'opera singer' was junior, church- my rant Shawna   Fri  9/29/2000   4 KB
4792 Re: 'opera singer' was junior, church- my rant Tak Oda   Fri  9/29/2000   3 KB
4798 Re: 'opera singer' was junior, church- my rant Shawna   Fri  9/29/2000   6 KB
4805 Re: 'opera singer' was junior, church- my rant Tako Oda   Fri  9/29/2000   3 KB

emusic.com