Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen <kjensen@c...>
Date:  Fri Sep 29, 2000  3:12 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Vocal Ped Question...

This year for the first time I have used Clifton Ware's "Basics of Vocal
Pedagogy", (1998). It presents a broad view of the field and a good
grounding in basic information, and also has lots of up-to-date references
for following up ideas further in researching topics more deeply. I like
its general approach--it is very student-friendly and subtly advocates the
"sherpa" model for teaching of singing--guiding the shared responsibility
of meeting vocal challenges. I've been supplementing it with illustrations
from Barbara Conable's book on Body Mapping and Alexander Technique, quotes
from Richard Miller's "The Structure of Singing" (Schirmer 1985) and his
earlier broad-based research on National Schools of Singing (1977), as well
as that of Victor Alexander Fields (1947) We're only a month into the term
now, but so far it has been a very useful text. It has 13 chapters which
suits our length of term. I skip the diction chapter since I teach a
separate course on diction.
Cheers! Karen Jensen

emusic.com