Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
Date:  Fri Sep 29, 2000  4:06 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] 'opera singer' was junior, church

Peggy wrote:

> If they want to listen to Bocelli, Brightman, or Church, that's their
privilege.
> When acquaintances say to me how much they love those three, I hold my
tongue. If my
> opinion of those singers is asked, I simply say I don't care for them.

i've got a question: is their technique BAD,or is their technique NOT
OPERATIC only?

Also, it was said before that opera singing requires projecting the voice
over the orchestra. My teacher, a rock singer, has that 'ping' in his voice,
can control his vibrato at will ( the presence and the frequency as well ),
works primarily on breath support ( when he breathes in his lungs area
inflate beyond the rib cage perimeter... that's not human! ), uses that
projection he gets while singing rock ( what makes him an amazing heavy
metal singer ) but doesn't even like opera singing, saying that it's too
easy ( as he puts it: "Yawning, yawning, yawning" ). My probably stupid
question is: what tells exactly what's opera singing and what's not? Only
the 'ping'? Are stylistic ways of using the voice necessarily part of the
opera-singing kit or are they a matter of personal taste?

bye,

Caio Rossi

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
4776 Re: 'opera singer' was junior, church - plus rant Tak Oda   Fri  9/29/2000   3 KB

emusic.com