Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Fri Sep 29, 2000  3:09 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] 'opera singer' was junior, church

RALUCOB@a... wrote:

> most of the people i have encountered outside the world of classical
> singing, when refering to someone as an 'opera singer', usually accompany
> their voicing with an unflattering pantomime.

> in fact, the listening audience for opera and classical singing is still
> rather small.

> so perhaps the time for 'purism' has not yet arrived as 'opera' still
> is at risk of extinction (and yes, i know a mule just isn't a horse).
> imagine an extra-terrestial insisting we pronounce his name correctly five
> minutes after landing.

"risk of extinction"? Bite your tongue!!! My impression is that opera is on
the upslope
in the United States, and opera companies are much healthier these days than
the symphony
orchestras. I'm always heartened to see the huge number of young people that
show up at
reasonably priced opera performances, such as Wolf Trap Opera in the summer.
And I don't
feel threatened because my favorite art form is not adored by the masses, since
I don't
much care for most of the music the masses adore.

I'm not understanding the reference to "purism" - perhaps I'm forgetting an
earlier post
by someone. But in the opera house, I'm a purist, in that I want to hear good
quality
opera singing and other production values. Elsewhere, I don't much care what
people do -
If they're not born knowing how to pronounce Italian or German, I don't think
any less of
them. If they want to listen to Bocelli, Brightman, or Church, that's their
privilege.
When acquaintances say to me how much they love those three, I hold my tongue.
If my
opinion of those singers is asked, I simply say I don't care for them.

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...

emusic.com