Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Colin Reed" <colin-reed@l...>
Date:  Thu Sep 28, 2000  10:29 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Italy

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jason and Mary Weaver" <jasonmary@e...>
To: <vocalist-temporary@egroups.com>
Sent: 28 September 2000 20:37
Subject: [vocalist-temporary] Italy

> Hello!

<snip>
> Both of them stated that Germany was probably the most open country as far
> as foreign singers are concerned, but that too is changing. People here
say
> that around 15 years ago it was great for American singers in Germany.
They
> basically could come over and get a job without having much experience and
> not able to speak German. Now, most agents and theaters are quite hesitant
> to hire anyone who doesn't have at least a rudimentary ability in German
and
> can show that they've already worked a little professionally.
>
> Quite a bummer, but that's what I was able to find out!!
>
> Hope this helps!
>
> Mary

If you look on Graham Sanders' web page
http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/5707/ he lists some advice for singers
wanting to come to Germany. I believe that good spoken German is a
pre-requisite. I was under the impression that France was one of the better
countries for young singers to go to. Quite a few of my university friends
got singing jobs in France, either with Lille opera, or around
Aix-en-Provence. Maybe Alain can give some thoughts on this if he's
currently on the list.

Best wishes

Colin Reed, tenor
Newark, UK