Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lisa M Olson" <lisa_molson@m...>
Date:  Thu Sep 28, 2000  8:41 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist-temporary] Becoming a soprano

On Thu, 28 Sep 2000 10:16:52
Shawna wrote:

>In clearing the cobwebs on my technique, my new teacher now seems to have
>discovered my "mix." She believes my fullest, richest sound is actually
>smack dab in the middle of my range, with a good A~B on top. Ack! Okay, so
>I'm 29 now, and my voice has changed somewhat, I can get that. I also have
>physically changed considerably since my college days as well (gained about
>75 lbs due to a hormone disorder- though I was never small to begin with)
>and my voice has actually deepened (I added two notes on the bottom) but I
>feel like the top is still there. I still feel like a soprano- I don't think
>I'm descending into mezzo territory- but my teacher's been throwing out
>names like Marilyn Horne and even made a brief suggestion of a possible full
>dramatic path(!!!!!)
>Yipes!

This is similar to what has happened to me in the last year or so. I'm 30, and
after having been told I always had a "small, light, soubrette-ish" voice with
some good coloratura, I discovered, with the help of a great teacher, that I
have a lot more dramatic vocal capability and low notes than I was ever given
credit for. I still have the coloratura, but there is now a LOT more sound
than ever before, and I have a low C (C3 in the American system). ( So, now I
can finally sing "Der Tot und das Maedchen " with the low D!!! ;-) Hehe)

He believes that I am a dramatic coloratura. I used to have ALL the high notes
(in fact at the age of 20 or so, my easiest vocal production was above high C
[C6].) Now that I am using my "full" voice, I have to re-learn how to find
those extreme notes. This is frustrating, but it has taken me about 6 months
to line up the rest of my voice, so I'm hoping it won't take me long. My
middle voice, which has always been my biggest challenge, is finally taking
shape. I GET SO EXCITED by this! I really want to get out there are sing for
somebody. But my teacher keeps telling me I should wait for big auditions,
until it is all really solid and consistent. I agree with him, but I REALLY
WANT TO GET OUT THERE!!!!!!

Anyway, what I'm saying is: change happens. Accept it, play with it, LOVE IT!

Lisa-Marie
---

emusic.com