Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Pepsi Cat" <pepsicat@u...>
Date:  Thu Sep 28, 2000  8:58 pm
Subject:  MED: sinus infection from wisdom teeth removal (LONG)

Hi list,

This goes out to the doctors & anyone who has had their wisdom teeth
taken out.

I had all 4 removed at the advice of my dentist and oral surgeon last
Friday. By Sunday evening I developed severe sinus and facial pain
that the painkillers wouldn't dull. I mentioned this to my oral
surgeon on Monday, but he said he didn't see a break through to the
sinus when he removed my upper left wisdom tooth so it was probably
"referential pain" (??? I might have heard wrong but I think that's
what he called it ???). Well, doc knows best, and I was drugged out
of my mind anyway, so home I go - but the relentless pain worsens
through Tuesday to the point that I actually cried once - I actually
have a high pain tolerance so this is supposed to describe how bad
the pain got - and by Tuesday evening I was certain it was a massive
sinus infection because when I shook my head, I could hear _and_ feel
stuff jiggling in my face. Wednesday morning, I finally convinced him
that I did have a major sinus infection, I didn't care whether it was
because of the procedure or not but it obviously was since it was
only on one side of my face where one of the most recessed teeth was
removed, and he finally put me on antibiotics. Today is Day 2 of
antibiotics, and things seem to be improving, but there's still a lot
of pressure and pain, and drainage is very slow.

I'm wondering how the actual sinus cavity itself will recover fully
from an infection that wasn't treated for 5 full days, and whether it
will affect my resonance in the future. Can the shape of the cavity
change or the linings thicken? Should I see my ENT just to make sure?

Also, it's obviously in my oral surgeon's best interests to appear
unalarmed when finally diagnosing the infection, but exactly how
serious is a situation like this? I'm not a litigious person - I had
to sign a bunch of waivers before the procedure anyway - but I just
need to know how bad it actually is to leave a major sinus infection
from an open wound, not from a cold or URI, untreated for 5 days even
when a patient tells you something is wrong. Just so I can feel more
in the right. ;-) And maybe I just need some sympathy... I don't
know when I'll be able to get back to 100% singing capacity. :-(

Thanks! Sorry this is so long.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
4742 Re: MED: sinus infection from wisdom teeth remova stjames   Thu  9/28/2000   2 KB
4782 Re: MED: sinus infection from wisdom teeth remova John Messmer, M.D.   Fri  9/29/2000   3 KB

emusic.com