Vocalist.org archive

From:  ODivaTina@a...
Date:  Thu Sep 28, 2000  6:51 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Becoming a soprano

In a message dated 09/28/2000 9:29:00 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
dredeman@y... writes:

<< But continuing with this too long is in my opinion just as bad as letting
someboy sing in a tessitura that is too high. >>

And my problem starting out was the opposite. When I started music school, I
had been a pop singer who idolized Kate Bush. Her voice sits high, as well as
her production. My idea of singing beyond the first break was to sound like
her, and so my first teacher at school gave me light soprano rep to learn for
juries. I sang my first jury, during which the jurors asked me for the
second piece, but in the mezzo key. It was comfortable and easy for me. They
then said "You're not a soprano, you're a mezzo" and gave me a C -, the first
(and only!) C- I had ever gotten in my entire life. It was extremely
traumatic for me at the time, but now I am a happy, healthy mezzo. TinaO

emusic.com