Vocalist.org archive

From:  Naomi Gurt Lind <omigurt@s...>
Date:  Mon Sep 25, 2000  4:42 pm
Subject:  the secret of comfortable choral singing

>I also maintain that young singers with developing
>technique should not be forced to sing beyond their
>technical level (attempting sustained pianissimi, the
>wrong tessitura, with no teacher listening/stopping
>and correcting as you go) in a chorus.

Good point. It's taken me years to learn, but I finally feel I've come to
understand how to be a contributing member of a choir while still
protecting oneself. Sing what you're good at; lip-synch what ties you up
in knots. There are lots of different voice types with lots of different
strengths in each section -- I figure it all balances out in the end.

The world according to Naomi : )

emusic.com