Vocalist.org archive

From:  thomas mark montgomery <thomas8@t...>
Date:  Mon Sep 25, 2000  3:38 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Songs for Baritone for Wedding

> In a message dated 9/24/00 9:39:12 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> ODivaTina@a... writes a request from a baritone friend:
>
> << Does anyone know some good classical (or at least light on the cheese)
> songs
> for baritone that I could use? Is there some resource I could look in?
> So far I have Schubert's "Du bist die Ruh." >>

Tina, check out "Song of Devotion" by John Ness Beck. It is available in
one of the G. Schirmer American song anthologies (does anyone remember
which one-I'm away from my office) or in sheet music. It is based on a
text from Phillipians or Corinthians, needs a good high f#, is melodic
without being cheesy, but demands an accompanist of some ability (not
difficult to play, just difficult to read--lots of double sharps and the
like - very chromatic.) Have always gotten a good response when I've sung
it, except for the time one of the groomsmen passed out during my high f#,
slamming his head against the first pew. Talk about anti-climactic!

Mark Montgomery

emusic.com