Vocalist.org archive

From:  Jason and Mary Weaver <jasonmary@e...>
Date:  Mon Sep 25, 2000  10:24 am
Subject:  Chorus vs. Solo singing - career goals

Chorus vs. Solo singing - career goals Hello List and Isabelle B.,

Isabelle, I just have to put in my 2 cents about some of what you said. Remember everyone out there, I'm not trying to put anyone down or tell anyone how they should pursue their career, I just think that by sharing my experiences, I may be able to help others in some way.

Isabelle, you sound just like me when I was 23! I just turned the big 30, by the way.

<I sent out a little blurb about myself a few months
ago, but to offer out some more... I'm 23, so of
course I'm not performing or auditioning.>

Isabelle, it doesn't really matter how old you are physically to start performing, it's how developed you are mentally and musically. 23 was a great year for me. I got the lead (Marie) in "The Bartered Bride" at my university, I won my regional NATS competition and I got my first professional gig singing the sop. solos in the Messiah. I have had 2 voice teachers who began their professional careers around 23. (BTW, this is NOT usual) The soprano teacher got a SOLO contract with the New York Opera at 24 and she auditioned for the CHORUS!!! And the tenor started at the MET when he was only 22!! Also, my husband (who is a conductor and coach) worked with a 23 year old student from Julliard in Salzburg (she sang Fiordiligi in a production of Cosi) last year who went on to do the Merola program this past summer.

<I believe that the worst thing a young singer can do is leave
the studio and venture out into the "real" world with
imperfect technique.  Too much, too soon.  As you
know, I'm a believer in "technique first" and
concentrated, early voice-building -- all attention
directed to the voice -- before performing.  That's
why I study so intensely now.>

NONE of the above mentioned people had perfect vocal technique when they were 23! Also, a big part of learning about being a singer is getting up in front of people and trying things out. I too thought like you did at your age. I wanted to be "perfect" before I went out to audition for professional opera companies. But I have since learned that "perfect" never really comes and it's OK not to be "perfect". I'm certainly not suggesting that everyone should go out there and pursue their career when they don't feel like they are ready, but one should always try to do some performing of some sort, it's just as important as working on your technique in the privacy of your own home. You don't have to perform at the MET. Go to your local retirement home and give a concert (they are the best audiences!) Believe me, you most likely won't get the big job if you aren't ready.

<I have performed with a couple of regional companies,
opera and stage (Shakespeare), but have pulled in to
concentrate on vocal technique in the last year.  I
love acting and miss it terribly, but am giving that
time and energy into technical studies for now.>

That's great that you've done some stuff! I would say, get out there and do some more!! There is NO substitute for actually getting up on stage and performing. You can practise all you want, but actually doing it is a whole different thing.

<Of course, like all of us, I am happy no matter where
on the ladder of success I am -- I love and live for
singing, and enjoy performing anywhere.  My ambition
won't let me rest as long as there is an upward
direction to climb; that is different from saying,
"I'll never be happy UNTIL I have the international
career."  Continually striving to improve while
enjoying every moment along the way.  Of course, this
attitude and blazing ambition may change if I decide
to have children at some point... or it may not.  I am
lucky to have a very supportive husband who is willing
to take off around the world at a moment's notice and
live the singer's life.>

Sounds like you've got a healthy attitude towards things. Being happy IS the most important thing!

It's good that you have thought things through and have a "plan". Many singers have absolutely no idea what they want to do with themselves. There's just a couple of points that you may want to re-think, though.
One that jumps out at me since I live and work here in Europe is, how do you think you are going to just "perform in small houses far away from the limelight (preferably in Europe, travelling
out for a role and returning afterward)."?   Oh, if it were that easy!!

<I'm not sure what you mean by networking...>

Networking is one of the most important things a musician can do for their career. (A heavy dose of plain old luck is also good!) You are doing it right now by chatting on Vocalist. Getting to know people who are in your field, sharing ideas and experiences, finding out what's going on. How is anyone going to know you exist if you don't meet them and tell them that your alive and have something to offer?
My husband and I continually remind eachother to try to get to know as many people as possible even if they're not in music, because you never know, the lady at the hair salon might have a sister who will pay big bucks to have you sing at her wedding.
The music business is very small. It is amazing how many people I have met who I have someone in common with. BTW, Europe is not as far away from the limelight as you may think!

Anyway, hope all this helps and doesn't hinder!!

Take care!

Mary
emusic.com