Vocalist.org archive

From:  gwyee@r...
Date:  Mon Sep 25, 2000  6:33 am
Subject:  When to go into the "mix"?

Dear Vocalisters, I am confused about the smoothest way to transition from
chest to high voice. At my lesson today my teacher said he is concerned
about a "hitch" he occasionally heard in my voice about C#4. He said the
voice is progressing nicely but that either I've got a virus (which is
possible) or I've "pulled something" today (which is also possible as I'm
always exploring my voice in some way). My passagio is about C#4 to F#4. I
explained that I previously had problems transitioning into the high voice
and was taught by my former teacher to enter the mixed voice early (about
C#4); and speculated that the "hitches" were just lapses in concentration
while trying to make the adjustment. He suggested that I just not think
about it at all; carry the chest up higher and begin my transition about
E4-F4; but that ultimately, it was up to me. I used to bring the chest
voice up higher, especially when I was trying to be a baritone (more manly,
I thought), but now it feels like quite a bit more work to do that, and I've
come to love the high overtones I hear in the mixed voice. Any help you
can give me would be appreciated.

GWendel

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
4614 Re: When to go into the "mix"? RALUCOB@a...   Mon  9/25/2000   2 KB