Vocalist.org archive

From:  Patricia M Smith <dgcsorcmgr@j...>
Date:  Mon Sep 25, 2000  1:33 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: Choral singing vs. solo. Big ol' rant!!

Yes, Isabelle, that's fine if you can do it but I'm finally going to ask
you the questions that I think everyone wants to ask you:

1. Are you performing anywhere?
2. Are you networking with anyone that can help you get the jobs you need
to eventually work your way up to the international career?
3. Are you going on auditions?
4. What are you going to do if the international career never occurs?
Will you just stop singing?

While I am not a professional singer nor do I aspire to be one, it seems
to me that if you aren't doing these things it is unlikely that you'll
reach your main objective. Not everyone is "discovered" like Kathleen
Battle (& someone still has to hear you 1st) or has the good fortune &
talents of John Bruce Yeh who was still studying @ Julliard, goes to
audition for the Chicago Symphony Orchestra @ 19 & winds up being
assistant principal clarinet.

Okay, maybe John is not the best example since he's an instrumentalist &
the CSO has open auditions BUT you don't get anywhere in music, or in
business, without getting out to know the people in your own field (i.e.
taking choir jobs). I know several people who either have established
music careers or are in the process of establishing music careers who
did/are doing it only because they went out & sang for as many people in
that field as possible whether it was in an audition, in a choir job or
singing oratorio solos for a community chorus.

Pat Smith
Amateur Dramatic Soprano

PS I happen to know LOTS of professional musicians (singers &
instrumentalists...including some that have international careers), am
usually happy in her day job, which I got because of someone that I knew
& even has somewhat of a life outside of choir rehearsals. And I even get
to practice & sing solos!