Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Ciro" <cirodaraujo@u...>
Date:  Sun Sep 24, 2000  5:49 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] low palate: was vibrato

>BTW, I had a teacher who insisted that we should raise the soft palate,
>mostly for higher notes, and at the same time said we should sing higher
>notes sending air through the nose ( the same as Jeffrey Allen says in his
>Secrets of Singing ). The point here is clear: how can you do both at the
>same time?

That is a very common request by teachers, actually it involves two
different
things, a physiological request (raise the soft palate) which is crucial for
high notes
and an imagery request (send the air through the nose). This is because in
the male
voice the high notes when properly sang produce some vibrations in the area
of the nose.
So, while it is imposible to send air through the nose with the soft palate
up, it is not an
absolutely unreasonable request.

Ciro

emusic.com