Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Sat Sep 23, 2000  6:04 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] College Ensemble Requirements: Choir vs. Opera

Patricia M Smith wrote:

> You need to come to Chicago to hear the Lyric Opera Chorus. It truly
> sings as "one" voice but when someone from the chorus has a solo that
> person IS heard over the chorus & orchestra.

I know what you mean (though I've not been to Chicago Lyric). I was at a
Washington
Concert Opera performance of Bizet's the Pearl Fishers. The chorus was made up
primarily
of Washington Opera Chorus singers, at least several of whom I know to have
HUGE solo
voices (e.g., some have sung compromario roles in The Washington Opera, and
lead roles in
the smaller area companies). There was one choral section of the opera that was
absolutely amazing: a long a capella, soft, chromatic section. These opera
singers made
the most gorgeous, refined, blended, choral tone, and ended up perfectly in
tune (you
could tell because of the orchestra's next entrance). Now THAT'S vocal
technique!

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
4588 Re: College Ensemble Requirements: Choir vs. Oper snide76258@a...   Mon  9/25/2000   2 KB
4628 College Ensemble Requirements: Choir vs. Opera Tako Oda   Mon  9/25/2000   3 KB
4639 Re: College Ensemble Requirements: Choir vs. Oper snide76258@a...   Mon  9/25/2000   2 KB

emusic.com