Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Sat Sep 23, 2000  5:21 pm
Subject:  Re: We all gotta get better

"Rant" responded to with "rant":

> I realize you were ranting in this message, but this sounds terribly elitist
> to me. It sounds as if you are saying that a singer with technical musical
> skills is somehow more valuable than one with a great instrument, but
> perhaps limited reading ability. Reading can be learned. A certain amount of
> technique can be learned. But a passion for the music, a desire to throw
> oneself into a role, and a good solid level of talent simply cannot. I find
> that singers who started out as instrumentalists are very unsure of their
> voices, have little to no stage presence, and have no concept of phrasing on
> text rather than notes.

Does anyone seriously believe that a singer doesn't need good musical skills?
And that a
school environment is a great place to acquire them?

Likewise, does anyone seriously believe that a singer doesn't also need
"performing"
skills, e.g., stage presence, how to move on stage, how to interpret text and
character,
how to communicate with an audience? And that some of this can be acquired in
an academic
environment, though much is also acquired through experience and training
outside
academia?

And does anyone seriously believe that an artist of any sort needs to have an
artistic
sensibility? Though we may disagree on the extent to which this can be learned
vs. innate
ability (i.e., "talent") or lack thereof?

Some people are stronger in one area of their art and less strong in another.
Being
human, we often put greater value on the skills we're already strong in and try
undervalue the skills we're weak in.

But for technical AND artistic growth, I think one must focus on weaknesses and
strengthen
them, not bury our collective heads in the sand and say what we don't do well
is not
important.

I've found that being forced by my wonderful teachers to confront my weaknesses
is VERY
painful to the ego. And that what I've had to go through to strengthen them is
emotionally difficult. But after I grit my teeth and work through the "pain"
(not
physical, I hasten to add), I come out the other side stronger, and I find
things that
used to be hard now happen much more easily.

Here comes my rant, and those who don't wish to be subjected to if can hit that
delete key
now.....

I wish the word "elitist" could be banished from people's vocabularies when
they're
talking about acquiring knowledge. It means nothing - it's a loaded word that
implies to
many a glorification of ignorance and to others the idea of exclusion of those
with a
lower level of pre-acquired knowledge. Can't we all agree that more knowledge
and skill
is better than less, and that it would be a good thing if everyone devoted
their lives to
getting better and learning more? And that everyone should have an equal
opportunity to
sources of knowledge? And forget about attaching a label like "elitist" to
this process?

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
4554 Re: We all gotta get better Shawna   Sun  9/24/2000   6 KB
4561 Re: We all gotta get better Margaret Harrison   Sun  9/24/2000   4 KB

emusic.com