Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
Date:  Fri Sep 22, 2000  10:01 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] learning a role pointers

>From: Tako Oda <toda@m...>
>>On Fri, 22 Sep 2000, David Grogan wrote:
> > Perhaps if the choir director could be convinced to occasionally
> > remind the singers to support properly during soft singing, so that
> > there is not a perceived difference of technique from choir to voice
> > studio, then the students might achieve this faster.
>
>Easier said than done! Most singers in an amateur choir can't support
>properly on a loud note, let alone a soft one. I've heard a lot of choir
>directors tell people to "support", and noone, including the director,
>really knew what the term meant.

Well, here's a motivating factor for support reminders: I don't know about
the rest of you, but if I don't support properly I go FLAT! Perhaps a
little reminder to support the tone properly would go a long way to make the
choir director's job easier.

Elizabeth "I sang three times in the Opera San Jose chorus and SURVIVED!"
Finkler
http://home.earthlink.net/~mightymezzo/
mightymezzo@h...

"Virtue is triumphant only in theatrical productions." --The Mikado

"Quitters never win. Winners never quit. But those who never win and never
quit are just plain stupid." --anonymousse