Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Ciro" <cirodaraujo@u...>
Date:  Fri Sep 22, 2000  9:55 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] making money -- chorus vs. non-singing jobs

><< Okay, I could waste that time singing in a chorus, and then have
"blown"
>my vocal study time for that day and not be able to practice my own
>repertoire when I get home... or I could take a desk job, computer job,
>high-tech job, during the day (which would probably pay more, even
part-time)
>and give those three hours to my practicing in the morning or when I get
>home. >>

I sing at a professional opera chorus. It is pratically the only way to
make a living singing
classical music in brazil. We have one of the best opera chorus I've ever
heard and I've heard several of the
best. However one does have to learn to defend one's voice against demands
of the literature
just as one MUST have to be a soloist (as a soloist I've often been required
to sing for 8 hours a day and it is possible if you know how to defend
yourself). The secret is not to sing out to your fullest voice, to float
high notes (in opera solos it is permissible and even desirable to give that
something extra on high notes but one
must be able to sustain the tessitura and that is basically learning when to
give it and when to keep it back).
Some female frineds of mine say that they defend themselves by singing at a
lower dynamic level. This might work very well for light lyric voices but
this is what really strains myself (and speaking with collegues I realise I
am not alone). I am a lot more tired after a rehearsal of bach's passions
than a full out performance of Aida.

However I think it is great practice about learning to defend oneself. When
I look at a chorus score I see exactly how much I can give and how much I
should keep back. How often have I seen very good singers burn themselves
out and not get through a performance because they were giving their all
from the beginning or receiving a cold reaction from the audience for not
giving enough (the Teatro Municipal still boos ocasionally so singers should
watch out).

So I don't know if I'm a freak but I can definitelly sing 4 hours in the
morning, take my voice lesson in the afternoon and sometimes sing at night,
and I have several colleagues who can do that as well.

emusic.com