Vocalist.org archive

From:  Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Fri Sep 22, 2000  4:50 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: learning a role, choirs, teachers & other rant

In a message dated 09/22/2000 10:33:28 AM Central Daylight Time,
ezuber@b... writes:

<< Ask them to get up from their chairs and mix them up in such a way that
nobody has the same voice next to him/her. Then ask them to sing whatever you
are rehearsing while walking around the room and doing some exercises (like
waving their arms or bending) and/or acting at the same time. Then you can
hear for yourself what happens! >>

The choir for which I'm a professional section leader does this often; in
fact, most of the GOOD choirs in which I've sung have done this, as well as
things like walk around the room while we're singing. It all depends on how
good the conductor is!

<<Soloist has to have a commanding authority, sureness and charisma, in
addition to the voice and musicianship - to lead with any kind of success.
I do not think singing in choirs teaches you that.>>

Perhaps as one of the masses ... In the position of a section leader, I
disagree. If you don't have these things, your section will not respect you.
My alto section depends on me to know where the director has designated
cut-offs, dynamics and other musical things, as well as for help in
pedagogical matters ... "I'm not hitting that note right, what can I do?" It
has helped me as a teacher and as a performer.

Christine Thomas, Mezzo Soprano
Wauwatosa, WI

"Humility is the acceptance of the possibility that someone else can teach
you something else you do not know already, especially about yourself.
Conversely, pride and arrogance close the door of the mind."
-- Arthur Deikman, The Observing Self

emusic.com