Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Fiona Chow" <fionat@i...>
Date:  Fri Sep 22, 2000  5:53 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] singing in ensemble

I have to agree with all those of you who who are reminding us who are still
in school, that there IS money to be had in chorus singing. I've had more
than one (paid) church choir job - now as it turns out, I'm the music
director so I sing less and conduct/administer more (hahaha, not necessarily
easier!!!). I've also done small local opera chorus work. And I've also
auditioned and been offered jobs as a paid section leader of NON-CHURCH
choirs, but have never been able to accept them, mostly b/c of scheduling
conflicts!

If you can sightread (or you have perfect pitch or both....) section leader
stuff pays. So taking the time to sing in a choir isn't bad.

And - I'm a soprano with considerable vibrato. In choirs, I prefer to sing
alto or second sop. No one has complained yet, and this is where the
conductors who know me best usually put me.

Fiona
who likes opera, AND choral singing and thinks they are both rewarding
musically!

emusic.com