Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Alexa Wing" <alexawing@h...>
Date:  Thu Sep 21, 2000  8:15 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] singing in ensemble

(And even if choral singing isn't your long-term
>career goal, if I have a choice between typing between solo jobs and
>singing
>in a chorus, dang if I won't take the choral work! At least it's making a
>living in your field ... or at least contributing to your living.)
>
>As far as making a living, choral singing isn't in my top 3 favorite things
>to do (those would be opera, teaching, concert work), but it helps pay the
>bills. And being a section leader has gotten me concert work and exposed
>me
>to literature with which I'd be unfamiliar otherwise!

As a person whose done a lot of singing and typing, I agree. I worked in a
professional touring choir for two years right after university and it not
only bankrolled my lessons and coachings, it taught me a great deal about
sight reading and working with others that has been invaluable to me. My
only choral thing left is a dreamy church gig where I do two services a
Sunday with four other professionals. We sing Renaissance polyphony.
Heaven!

Alexa Wing

Visit me on the web:
http://www.interlog.com/~aads/wing/