Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Thu Sep 21, 2000  6:48 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] College Ensemble Requirements: Choir vs. Opera

"DIANE M. CLARK (MUSIC DEPARTMENT)" wrote:

> In my opinion, opera chorus is an ensemble, but singing solo opera roles is
> not. In an ensemble, you want students to have the experience of making
> music in tandem with other musicians. Yes, there are a few duets in opera,
> but to my mind, this does not give the singer true ensemble experience. In
> a true ensemble, you can't just go your own way; you have to go the way of the
> total group.

I agree in principle, though many opera choruses are quite simple musically and
shouldn't
merit ensemble credit by themselves (e.g., Anvil Chorus), but I think
exceptions would
have to be made for the following:

The "big 4" Mozart operas (e.g., Three Ladies in Flute, Act 2 Finale in Figaro,
everything
in Cosi),
Any Rossini operas (e.g., any Act finale)
Most 20th-century operas (any Menotti, and the Baby Doe ladies' quintets come
right to
mind),
A Sondheim show like Into the Woods (every principal sings in rhythmically
complex
ensembles)
Verdi's Falstaff--the final fugue alone should qualify a singer for a Master's
degree in
ensemble! :-)

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
4491 College Ensemble Requirements: Choir vs. Opera Tako Oda   Thu  9/21/2000   2 KB

emusic.com