Vocalist.org archive

From:  LYNDA313@a...
Date:  Wed Sep 20, 2000  9:29 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] College Ensemble Requirements: Choir vs. Opera

In a message dated 9/20/00 12:30:01 PM, verdirules@h... writes:

<< How several of us vocal majors wish we could forget about "blending" and
singing with straight tone and worry more about what we are at school for
:opera. >>

Dear singer,

Not all choral groups require straight tone singing...and besides, that
doesn't ensure "blend", anyway. In many cases, it has produced out-of-tune
singing. I'm sorry that you are in a school where the choral philosophy
differs from the vocal one. Many soloists have experienced this situation,
but I'm hoping that, in the future, you'll have the opportunity to sing with
fine choirs whose directors have another goal. There is such great choral
music that you would love and which would teach you a myriad of things
vocally and musically.

Experiment with sound, though, and see if you can come up with a sound for
yourself in the choral situation which, although not strictly straight tone,
will blend with others in the way the director wishes. I did it...still do...
in the situations where a straight-ER tone is desired. I know that I am
singing with a well-modulated (minimum, and consistent with dynamics)
vibrato, but I also know it works with the other singers' tone qualities. I
went to my director and said, "I 'd like to sing for you with a sound that I
think will work. Tell me if it does." I did. He liked it...no problem.

By the way, I wish my soprano sound (school choirs) had MORE vibrato...it
would tune better and produce a richer total sound for the group.

Best of luck to you.

Sincerely,
Lynda Lacy

Lynda Lacy, Director of Choral Activities
Jackson Preparatory School
Jackson, Mississippi
"Allow your voice to serve the music, not the other way around." - B. R.
Henson

<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/lynda313/myhomepage/profile.html">Lynda and
the Fine Arts</A>

emusic.com