Vocalist.org archive

From:  ODivaTina@a...
Date:  Wed Sep 20, 2000  5:32 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] learning a role pointers

In a message dated 09/20/2000 4:47:33 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
peggyh@i... writes:

<< Sometimes when I have complex rhythms to learn, I write out the note
values (without a staff, bit with stems, flags,rests, measure lines) and put
the words underneath them, and use this to practice with. >>

I agree that to try to learn this type of music just by a recording is a very
bad idea, as you will invariably ingrain an incorrect perception of what you
think the person is doing, and have to work doubly hard to correct it later.
Besides the trick listed above, I have taken to drawing tic marks in my score
above the staff at every beat in the measure. It sets off the beat divisions
visually, and then I can figure out what happens between each beat. I then
conduct it as I listen to the recording, and can see and hear the way the
rhythmic structure falls over the template of the tic marks I just made.
Works like a charm for me. Good luck to you!
TinaO

emusic.com