Vocalist.org archive

From:  dorisopran@a...
Date:  Wed Sep 20, 2000  3:57 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Digest Number 269

In a message dated 9/20/00 12:56:29 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
mc_silon@h... writes:

<< The experience of singing in a choir is indispensable to a good
musician: it develops the hearing, and completes our musical education and
instruction. You see, the choir repertoire is too fabulously big, rich and
important to be ignored. Sometimes, it can also improve our singing. It can
help to overpower excess of timidity, and to be ready to future performances
as a soloist. >>

Not only completing our musical education, but structuring our entire life of
music making; vocal ensemble, not only choir/chorus, but the many
permutations and combinations which cast us as, at times, soloist, duetist,
chorister, are all vital and rewarding. I guess I'm a team player, as 99% of
the concerts, recitals or gigs I've been involved in have been joint
recitals, vocal ensemble, chamber music with voice, or choral. Marie-Claire
mentioned also that choral singing helps one get over being timid. When you
are combining with others: together=ensemble, it's easier to take the focus
off of *self* and put it onto the whole equation, the music.

Cheers,
Doris Long Thurber

emusic.com