Vocalist.org archive

From:  Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Tue Sep 19, 2000  3:06 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Vegetarianism and Allergies (and: Finding Balance)

In a message dated 09/19/2000 8:59:04 AM Central Daylight Time,
alexawing@h... writes:

<< I've been doing Iyengar yoga for about five years and I find it envaluable
for dealing with my asthma (allergy induced). I haven't had to have a dose
of my puffer for more than a year now. I think any kind of exercise which
teaches you to be really conscious of your inspiration and expiration can
only help you with respiratory problems in the long run. >>

I just started Pilates (just mat work) last week.... so far, so good. Same
kind of idea, although I find the expiration very contrary to my singing
expiration, and had a difficult time making the adjustment. Since Pilates is
intended to develop the "powerhouse" muscles, or "core" (the abdominal
muscles and the back), there is a lot of pulling in the abdomen, along with
consciously bringing DOWN the sternum and letting the lower ribs collapse.
I've told my students that until they've got their appoggio breathing really
secure, perhaps Pilates is not a good idea at this time.

Like I said, it's only the 2nd week. The teacher is also a ballet dancer and
we discussed the breathing confusion - she says it's not what she does as a
dancer either. She's opening a studio out this way with the Reformers
equipment; I'm hoping to afford to do a private session or two ... I'll keep
you posted.

Christine Thomas, Mezzo Soprano
Wauwatosa, WI

"Humility is the acceptance of the possibility that someone else can teach
you something else you do not know already, especially about yourself.
Conversely, pride and arrogance close the door of the mind."
-- Arthur Deikman, The Observing Self

emusic.com