Vocalist.org archive

From:  gwyee@r...
Date:  Sat Sep 16, 2000  8:30 am
Subject:  Singer wannabe [long]

At 06:14 PM 9/14/00 EDT, dorisopran@a... wrote:

>I had a friend who was an excellent lyric baritone and
>studied with Cornelius Reid back in the mid sixties.
>When people started flocking to Reid in droves,
>Cornelius threw my friend out, even though he was
>a longtime student and supposedly friend as well.
[snip]
>I believe when a teacher has a talented student, s/he
>should advise and encourage as much as possible,
>and discourage where appropriate.

["Standby to de-lurk, No. 1!"]
I resonated with this post, partly because it gives me an opportunity to
introduce myself and also to thank the list for all the very useful
information I've gleaned as a kind of lurker over the past few months.
After rummaging through the archives I feel like I know you all, somehow.
Dr. Clark was kind enough to point me to the active list.

I resumed singing in our church choir about 5 years ago (was a choral tenor
during high school and college years) after a verrrrry long hiatus trying to
build a career/make a living, Then one night, I found myself at the church
choir room asking to join in. Started as a bass because at the time it
seemed less "exposed". However, it wasn't long before I noticed that after
every service, and choir practice, my throat was a little sore, and my voice
seemed "foggy". After a couple of years, I found a voice teacher. That was
three years ago. She was wonderful, a coluratura soprano, former soloist
for the Roger Wagner Chorale. Our first two years were spent undoing a
lifetime of my bad habits. Surprise!--gradually, the range increased and my
voice seemed to rise and acquire some ringy color, especially from g3-g4.
But she seemed to be steering me into bass-hood. "There's more money in the
low notes", she would tell me. "But I'm not singing for money", I would
whine; and when I complained about still feeling sore after singing bass (by
now I was in a respectable community choir), she told me I could learn to
sing bass without becoming sore. "But I was a tenor before", I pleaded.
"That was a long time ago" came the reply. So I sang baritone. But
standing alongside the real basses and baritones with their marvelous rich,
warm tones , I found my ear would automatically cause me to try to match
timbre by "pressing" and more sore throats. I felt very discouraged.

After getting some advice from other singers, I decided it was time for a
second opinion. Painfully, and with a strong feeling of insecurity, I
decided to leave my first teacher and change to my current teacher. My new
teacher is apparently very well-regarded in our area (Someone told me that
two of his students were Met finalists). I know I'm not Met material, but
I'm excited to have the opportunity to study with him. He has told me I am
currently a high lyric baritone-low tenor; but that may change as my voice
is still unsettled (even at my age!??) The director of our community
chorus had already moved me to tenor-2. Finally, it's soooo goooood to
sing, even for hours, and not be sore. This is a bit like reverse puberty!

Anyway, I apologize for this long post; and want to thank you all for how
much you've already taught me.

GWendel

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
4407 Re: Singer wannabe [long] Craig Tompkins   Sun  9/17/2000   4 KB
4423 Re: Singer wannabe [long] Patricia M Smith   Mon  9/18/2000   3 KB
4424 Re: Singer wannabe [long] RALUCOB@a...   Mon  9/18/2000   3 KB
4447 Re: Singer wannabe [long] Craig Tompkins   Wed  9/20/2000   2 KB
4533 Re: Singer wannabe [long] Patricia M Smith   Fri  9/22/2000   6 KB

emusic.com