Vocalist.org archive

From:  Isabelle Bracamonte <ibracamonte@y...>
Date:  Fri Sep 15, 2000  11:47 pm
Subject:  building your immune system?

Hi, gang --

Karen, your links are fantastic, as always. And yes,
re: the dietary thread, obviously people with bad
eating habits can cross the board -- from the
McDonald's obese American to the anemic
white-flour-and-pasta vegetarian. I will point out
that eggs and dairy are also "complete" proteins, so
it's not like you're missing the meat group if you eat
those also. Healthy vegetarianism is tough to screw
up if you eat eggs/dairy (and as long as you don't eat
refined grains all day -- obviously).

On to my topic: I heard that if you start avoiding a
food that gives you trouble, when you eat it next, you
will have a big huge reaction. If, for instance, I
notice myself getting a little stuffy when I eat
wheat, and so I cut it out of my diet for six months,
then if I eat a plate of pasta I will be completely
congested (much more than the past slight stuffiness).
This is more severe than a "normal" attack -- it's
actually worse (I mean measurably worse, not just "I'm
more sensitive to it now because I'm been non-stuffy
for the past six months" -- I'm talking a major
attack) (or so I've heard). Is this true, and why?

Likewise, people who sequester themselves away from
dust and pollen will find that their allergy attacks
are much worse if they wander into a pollen-filled
enviornment than they were before. Is this true?

My voice teacher always tells me to make sure I walk
or run in the fresh air every day, to keep the body's
natural defenses against allergens and sensitive stuff
high.

This is all leading to, of course, me. Let's say I'm
a little sensitive to milk, and cutting it out will
lead to a slight improvement in my voice. Then am I
making it worse for myself if I eat milk again in the
future? If a dairy product is accidentally slipped
into a pre-performance meal, will I be a basket case
(whereas, if I had kept it in my diet, I would not be
as affected)?

It's a strange thought. By wallowing in things that I
may be sensitive to, am I building a resistance to
them?

Of course, I also heard that wearing glasses causes
your eyes to get worse faster than not wearing them,
which I don't believe. So I'm ready to listen to
scientific bashing of the above theories.

Isabelle B.

=====
Isabelle Bracamonte
San Francisco, CA
ibracamonte@y...

4386 Re: building your immune system? saint james   Sat  9/16/2000   3 KB
4387 Re: building your immune system? Isabelle Bracamonte   Sat  9/16/2000   2 KB
4389 Re: building your immune system? LikeSoMuchFish@a...   Sat  9/16/2000   2 KB
4395 Re: building your immune system? Jennifer L. Fretwell   Sat  9/16/2000   5 KB
4397 Re: building your immune system? RALUCOB@a...   Sat  9/16/2000   2 KB

emusic.com