Vocalist.org archive

From:  Takeshi Oda <toda@m...>
Date:  Thu Sep 14, 2000  9:49 pm
Subject:  OFF: Vegetarianism and Allergies (the last rant... nah.....)

On Thu, 14 Sep 2000, Elizabeth Finkler wrote:
> [a vegetarian] will be deficient in the most basic chemicals for life,
> the amino acids, and some other stuff if you are strict vegetarian and
> don't supplement and/or know what special beans, ect to eat. Meat is
> full of proteins which the body needs to make amino acids.

You will suffer also if you are a strict carnivore. You would get scurvy
and incredibly clogged arteries. American society has been omniverous for
years - our cuisine has necessarily adapted to allow people to survive. Of
course if you simply eliminate entire food group, you will suffer, because
you are tampering with an established nutrient balance. "American
Vegetarian Food" is a new concept, so the kinks aren't worked out.

American culture is one big expression of the landowner paradigm, which of
course places a huge amount of importance on protein (beef, especially).
You don't actually need a perfect balance of amino acids to survive - the
body simply takes what it needs. It is possible to metabolize "straggler"
amino acids for energy.

It's important to look at other cultures which are not as meat dependent
(esp Sikhs and Buddhists). They make delicious, well balanced vegetarian
or mostly veggie foods, that don't leave you feeling like you're missing
important nutrients, because they've had centuries of practice. You
mention vegetarian Indian food doesn't bug you. This is my explanation -
you can take it or leave it.

> Ova-lacto can supply this but you still have to really understand
> nutrition. If you know what you are doing Vegetarianism has clear
> benefits but I found it too cumbersome to do correctly.

The average American would do well to understand nutrition a bit better,
vegetarian or not. The US omnivore menu is not actually all that healthy
either (California cuisine excepted). I'd be willing to bet the average
clueless vegetarian is healthier than the average clueless omnivore. Don't
make me to list references to prove it - LOL! ;-)

If you try being vegetarian for a few days, you will of course feel funny
for a few days while your body gets used to it. If anyone is seriously
considering vegetarianism, I can supply some web resources to make it
easier.

> The other problem is that I find vegetarians hard to take, even when the
> cuisine is delicious! The big exception is the gang of Indians I work with,
> perhaps because Indian vegetarian food doesn't taste like penance.

The people or the cuisine? Am I really that annoying? :-)

Tako Oda

PS: I am not vegetarian for health reasons. Don't let this message
mislead you - I'd do it even if was bad for me.

emusic.com