Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
Date:  Thu Sep 14, 2000  8:10 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Vegetarianism and Allergies (the last rant, for now...)

James wrote:

Most people are stupid; they assume natural is better
>and don't read any books other than cook books.

My dear brother Jim has a perfect response for folks who insist that
something is harmless because it's "all natural": "So is snake venom."

You will be deficient in the
>most basic chemicals for life, the amino acids, and some other stuff if you
>are strict vegetarian and don't supplement and/or know what special beans,
>ect to eat. Meat is full of proteins which the body needs to make amino
>acids.

Has anyone else noticed that carnivorous creatures are among the loveliest
and most awe-inspiring on the planet? Think tigers, hawks, eagles, owls,
lions, sharks, orcas, wolves and even the common house cat.

Ova-lacto can supply this but you still have to really understand
>nutrition. If you know what you are doing Vegetarianism has clear benefits
>but I found it too cumbersome to do correctly.
>
>James

I actually DO eat vegetarian quite a bit. Trouble is, if I go whole hog for
vegetarian, after about three days I get a raging, unstoppable craving for a
cheesesteak. You suppose it's the missing nutrients that do that?

The other problem is that I find vegetarians hard to take, even when the
cuisine is delicious! The big exception is the gang of Indians I work with,
perhaps because Indian vegetarian food doesn't taste like penance.

*********
Rant over. Let's get back to singing. That Thomas Quasthoff lieder CD is
lovely! And I've got to say, in the discussion of the "European" preference
for high, pretty, toy-like voices in women that women singers of that type
seem MUCH more prevalent in Indian (both traditional and pop) and Japanese
traditional music.

Elizabeth Finkler
http://home.earthlink.net/~mightymezzo/
mightymezzo@h...

"Virtue is triumphant only in theatrical productions." --The Mikado

"Quitters never win. Winners never quit. But those who never win and never
quit are just plain stupid." --anonymousse

4345 OFF: Vegetarianism and Allergies (the last rant.. Takeshi Oda   Thu  9/14/2000   4 KB
4346 OFF: Vegetarianism and Allergies Takeshi Oda   Thu  9/14/2000   2 KB

emusic.com