Vocalist.org archive

From:  Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Thu Sep 14, 2000  7:13 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Sexism and appropriate vocal registers WAS: Source o...

In a message dated 09/13/2000 6:52:54 PM Central Daylight Time,
lisa_molson@m... writes:

<< I've had students who have a problem accessing their head resonance
because they have artificially lowered their speaking voice. >>

Also, a lot of kids don't WANT to find that heady place because it sounds
"weird" to them. I had a new kid start yesterday - bit of an attitude, which
I hope goes away by lesson #5 (thru which she is paid) - and I had her
finding the feel of a supported tone by putting her hands on the bottom of
her ribs reaching into her back and saying, "Really?" in a surprised voice
like someone had just said something mildly offensive to her ... her voice
came out supported and with a good mix to it and she made a face ... I asked
her what she was reacting to and she said, "Oh, I don't like that sound - it
sounds weird." I told her I liked it a lot! She's a belter, BTW....

(And as far as my perception of her attitude, the student I had after her
said - without my prompting! - that she seemed to have a stick up her butt,
and he's a really nice kid!!)

Christine Thomas, Mezzo Soprano
Wauwatosa, WI

"Humility is the acceptance of the possibility that someone else can teach
you something else you do not know already, especially about yourself.
Conversely, pride and arrogance close the door of the mind."
-- Arthur Deikman, The Observing Self

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
4341 Re: Sexism and appropriate vocal registers WAS: S David Grogan   Thu  9/14/2000   3 KB
4347 Re: Sexism and appropriate vocal registers WAS: S DIANE M. CLARK (MUSIC DEPARTM   Thu  9/14/2000   2 KB
4359 Re: Sexism and appropriate vocal registers WAS: S Mezzoid@a...   Fri  9/15/2000   2 KB
4362 Re: Sexism and appropriate vocal registers WAS: S buzzcen@a...   Fri  9/15/2000   2 KB

emusic.com