Vocalist.org archive

From:  "saint james" <stjames@l...>
Date:  Thu Sep 14, 2000  3:53 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Vegetarianism and Allergies

I have major allergies. I was dependent on cortisone, a shot every month for
way too long to be safe. Several Allergists have said dairy/lactose could be
the cause but I am part rat (also born in the year of the rat) so there is
no way I will give up cheese. I went ova-lacto-vegetarian (eggs and dairy)
hopeing to then cut the ova-lacto. The only real test to prove you are
sensitive (or whatever you call it) is a challenge. After a period of
abstinence you do a challenge by eating dairy. I never made it to this point
because I discovered why many of the people shopping at the natural food
store looked really bad. Vegetarianism is very unhealthy if you don't know
what you are doing. Most people are stupid; they assume natural is better
and don't read any books other than cook books. You will be deficient in the
most basic chemicals for life, the amino acids, and some other stuff if you
are strict vegetarian and don't supplement and/or know what special beans,
ect to eat. Meat is full of proteins which the body needs to make amino
acids. Ova-lacto can supply this but you still have to really understand
nutrition. If you know what you are doing Vegetarianism has clear benefits
but I found it too cumbersome to do correctly.

James

emusic.com