Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Wed Sep 13, 2000  8:40 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] my vocal pedagogy class - really of personal interest, I suppose

Alexa,
A biggg portion of the course is the compilation of an annotated
bibliography of vocal pedagogical materials, and our library has about five
books by Reid. I've already spent some time with his Dictionary of Vocal
Terminology and will get to the others in due course. I found that it
contains a wealth of information, though I had some reservations. This is
what I wrote so far:
Reid, Cornelius L. A dictionary of vocal terminology : an analysis New
York : Joseph Patelson Music House, 1983.
***Someone should have written this long ago, but here it is now. For some
reason R.Miller is supposed to hate Reid, but their approaches seem at
least related - and they are equally opinionated. Is Appoggio the bone of
contention? Formants aren't well covered though he seems to know what he's
talking about.A wealth of data on voice and vocal topics with good diagrams
though you can tell I have reservations.
Clarity** support register** vowel formants** singer's formant**Vowel
modification **Breathing

Was that more than you needed to know? j
At 03:45 PM 9/12/00 -0400, you wrote:

>John;
>
>Does your vocal pedagogy class have any reading in it by Cornelius Reid?
>
>ciao,
>
>alexa

John Blyth
Baritono robusto e lirico