Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Sandra" <sandra@i...>
Date:  Wed Sep 13, 2000  3:49 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Vegetarianism and Allergies (and: Finding Balance)

> In a message dated 09/12/2000 9:41:51 AM Central Daylight Time,
> RALUCOB@a... writes:
>
> << cow milk is for baby cows, not for adult humans and oppurtunistic
> indoor cats.
> >>
> Hey, my cat is lactose intolerant, so it's not for her either!! (Weird
cat!)

> Christine Thomas, Mezzo Soprano
> Wauwatosa, WI

Several years ago I rented a little cottage on a goat dairy ranch. The
dairy operation produced goat dairy products such as cheese and milk. The
owner (a woman, and my landlady) said much of the milk went to babies who
were lactose intolerant with cows milk. She said that many persons are not
completely lactose intolerant-they are lactose intolerant with cows milk,
but can digest goat milk just fine. She said it makes sense when you
consider that cows milk is designed for a baby of 80 to 100 lbs with
multiple stomachs, whereas a human baby is maybe 5 to 15 lbs. A baby goat
weights 4 to 6 lbs at birth (my guess from holding them) and would be much
more compatible to a human baby. I find that I digest goat dairy products
much easier than cow products. As someone who LOVES goat cheese, this is a
condition I find quite nice. Cheese from cows sits in my stomach like lead.

Btw, I have had a few cow milk lactose intolerant. Strangely, like their
human counterparts, they would still lap up cow milk any time they could,
then later suffer the consequences.

Sandra

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
4282 Re: Vegetarianism and Allergies (and: Finding Bal Lisa Miller   Wed  9/13/2000   2 KB
4286 OFF: Vegetarianism and Allergies Tako Oda   Wed  9/13/2000   3 KB

emusic.com