Vocalist.org archive

From:  Craig Tompkins <craigtompkins@t...>
Date:  Tue Sep 12, 2000  6:17 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Italian Songs and Arias

"Lloyd W. Hanson" wrote:

> Dear Linda and Vocalisters:
>
> Alfred Publishers prints a newer version of the 24 Italian Songs
> called 26 Italian Song and Arias ed by John Paton. I studied Italian
> song with John one summer at Boulder, Colorado. This edition is a
> more authentic rendition of the original scores without the romantic
> versions of the turn-of-the-century Parisotti arrangements
> (compositions?).

Alfred also publishes Italian Arias of the Baroque and Classical Eras
(H-M-L) and Italian Art Songs of the Romantic Era (med. H-med. L), both in
the same format as The 26.

There is a very interesting two volume collection "edited" by Pietro
Floridia and published by Oliver Ditson (in the 1920's I think). This
collection takes a completely opposite approach to the Alfred collection.
Existing accompaniments and figured bass lines were removed and the melodies
reharmonized. The reason being "...these old melodies have been presented
either in their original setting... obsolete, thin, uncertain, obscure...
or... in pedantic, heavy arrangements, or... with poor, amateurish
inadequate accompaniments." If you can find this collection, a comparison
of Caro Mio Ben among Schirmer, Alfred and Ditson would certainly be
entertaining!

Cheers,
Craig, Burnaby BC

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
4273 Re: Italian Songs and Arias Lloyd W. Hanson   Wed  9/13/2000   4 KB

emusic.com