Vocalist.org archive

From:  Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Date:  Tue Sep 12, 2000  8:20 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: Source of frequencies was:Falsetto Recognition

On Tue, 12 Sep 2000 LMorgan923@a... wrote:
> Yes, there is a more prominent break at that point in my voice. I rarely
> go to full chest until I get below middle C, and not then if I have to go
> right back up again. I find that if I drop into full chest, it's very
> difficult to get out of it without a noticable change in vocal quality.

This is fascinating! When you speak, is it the "full chest" register or is
it the "mix"? I get the sense that most women speak in this mix register,
though I have heard women speak in what sounds to me like "full chest".

As you know, most men speak in their "full chest" voices. I wonder if the
level of comfort in singing in a particular range is related to level of
comfort which develops from speaking in it. Although the basic range of my
voice is fairly normal (I am capable of singing baritone parts if I have
to), I've noticed that I tend to speak rather high in my range for most
conversation... I would call it a mix rather than my full chest
production. Perhaps this is why I feel so comfortable singing
countertenor?

Tako

emusic.com