Vocalist.org archive

From:  RALUCOB@a...
Date:  Tue Sep 12, 2000  10:39 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Speaking voice when teaching

if you sit on a piano bench while teaching, it is easy to hunch over
after awhile. it is not necessary to talk like an opera singer, on '60
minutes' for the first time, to get through a day of talking. find a chair
with a back and pad the seat until it's the right height (unless you don't
care about your piano tech.). most of us speak on the residual air in our
lungs. when we pause, we breath in as a reaction. it is harder for this
reactive breath to take place if you are hunched over. and, though we don't
need a lot of air to speak, we need enough.

of course, if you already do this then, this wouldn't be the
explaination (i know, i'm real clever). is the room dry? do you stay well
hydrated (is your pee clear?)? do you talk really loud even though the
student is standing right in front of you? do you warm up your voice before
you teach? does your accent contribute to poor vocal production (if you're
from boston, it does)?

mike

emusic.com