Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Tue Sep 12, 2000  1:37 am
Subject:  [vocalist-temporary] Re: Source of frequencies was:Falsetto Recognition

Dear Tako and Vocalisters:

As I mentioned, judging a voice from sound only, and especially from
recordings can be very deceiving. For one thing, I do not know what
Asawa and Daniels mean by their tenor voice. Many who speak of
having two parallel voices are referring to a very heavy, lowered
larynx sound for their tenor voice and a lighter, heady quality for
their "other" voice. If this is the case for the above mentioned
artists then I would say they are comparing a poor vocal technique
(the heavy voice) to a better vocal technique (a head voice).

A so called "supported falsetto" can include some addition of a
longitudinal tension but is more likely to be the addition of a
median compression which allows a better closure of the vocal folds.
Once longitudinal tension is introduced the voice begins to make the
transition into head voice which typically includes increased
sub-glottal pressure and a tone more rich in harmonics.
--
Lloyd W. Hanson, DMA
Professor of Voice, Pedagogy

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
4262 Re: Source of frequencies was:Falsetto Recognitio Tak Oda   Tue  9/12/2000   3 KB
4263 Re: Source of frequencies was:Falsetto Recognitio chosdad@c...   Tue  9/12/2000   3 KB
4264 Re: Source of frequencies was:Falsetto Recognitio Tak Oda   Tue  9/12/2000   2 KB
4265 my vocal pedagogy class - really of personal inte John Alexander Blyth   Tue  9/12/2000   2 KB

emusic.com