Vocalist.org archive

From:  Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Mon Sep 11, 2000  10:04 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Finding balance (was Frequency of Lessons) - long

In a message dated 09/11/2000 10:13:16 AM Central Daylight Time,
mbryant@f... writes:

<< . Singing is my first love; teaching is a close second. >>

A few months ago I was reading my horoscope just for grins, and it said
something very interesting that changed my life.... it said something to the
effect of, "You have always been very good at multi-tasking but just remember
one thing: Just because you CAN keep all the balls in the air doesn't mean
you have to." Now, no matter what you think about horoscopes, and we don't
need to get into that, that was one of the most important pieces of advice
that I ever received - and that I ever actually took!

In a discussion with a friend, she said to me, "Well, I think you should cut
back on your teaching; after all, what's more important to you? Your
performing or your teaching?" I thought about it and I decided that my
performing was more important - but only marginally. I love both the things
I do ... so I prioritized. I decided what I don't love as much is choral
singing, and I cut back on some of the choral things I'd been doing (still
have my church job, though). I also decided that I liked my teaching as it
was - a private teacher with no boss - so I didn't take a college job.
People I know are horrified that I turned down an opportunity to join a
faculty, but hey, if it's right for me, it'll come up again.

Christine Thomas, Mezzo Soprano
Wauwatosa, WI

"Humility is the acceptance of the possibility that someone else can teach
you something else you do not know already, especially about yourself.
Conversely, pride and arrogance close the door of the mind."
-- Arthur Deikman, The Observing Self

emusic.com